Toggle Content Home | Forums | Next Action | Calendar | TBK Rules | Join TBK | Challenge us | Search | TBK BF4 Leaderboard
  User Info Toggle Content

Welcome Anonymous

Nickname
Password
Security CodeSecurity Code
Type Code

Membership:
Latest: so0unDy
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 496

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 23
Total: 23
Who Is Where:
 Visitors:
01: Forum
02: News
03: Forum
04: Forum
05: Forum
06: Forum
07: Forum
08: Forum
09: Photo Gallery
10: Photo Gallery
11: Home
12: Statistics
13: Statistics
14: Forum
15: Forum
16: Forum
17: Statistics
18: Photo Gallery
19: Forum
20: Forum
21: Forum
22: Home
23: Forum

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Main Menu Toggle Content

Forum › Artwork, Computer, Internet & Show Off Boards › Computer Hardware Room › Performance upgrade from 5770 to 6870
Performance upgrade from 5770 to 6870
Show off your PC Specs and Computer Tech Talk
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index ›  Computer Hardware Room

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bourbonbosher
TBK Member
TBK Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Performance upgrade from 5770 to 6870

As some graphics cards have gone down in price since the release of the 7000 series I decided to snap up a Sapphire 6870 for £115 thinking I would see an improvement from my Sapphire 5770. Guess what, no improvement what so ever! Weird.

I decided to run BF3 Gulf of Oman as this is the most graphic intensive map and I see no performance increase at all. I was running this map on Med/High on the 5770 and getting 28-50 fps. With the 6780 exactly the same. when I increase the settings the performance drops, just like with the 5770.

I was a little concerned using a Pci express 1.0 slot on my motherboard with the card but googleing it showed that it would not saturate the bandwidth, and if anything, would only give a performance decrease of around 5%. Is this correct? Is there a bottleneck in my system? If so it must be my motherboard. What you rekon guys.

My specs:
asrock ucc n68c-s Mother board
Athlon II x4 635 2.9Ghz
650w PSU
4GM DDR3 1333 RAM

Ankara
TBK Council
TBK Council

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Performance upgrade from 5770 to 6870

Are they both DX11 cards?

TBK Member
TBK Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Performance upgrade from 5770 to 6870

Yes.

computertechy
TBK Member
TBK Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance upgrade from 5770 to 6870

CANT BE ASSED WITH PUNCTUATION!

just read this. something is wrong bourbon

www.anandtech.com/benc...290?vs=296

uninstall all your display drivers(EVERYTHING AMD/ATI IN IT), if it asks you to restart just restart and keep doing so until all removed then once all removed run ccleaner and click on registry and then click scan issues then fix issues

run driver sweeper and remove all AMD/ATI
phyxion.net/Driver-Swe...aller.html

it will ask you to restart, restart then run ccleaner registry AGAIN once in windows.

download fresh 12.3
www2.ati.com/drivers/1...dd_ccc.exe
download fresh app profiles(sometimes works for single cards)
www2.ati.com/drivers/h...3_cap1.exe

install 12-3_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc then install amd_catalyst_12.3_cap1 after this restart then test.

IF ALL OF THIS DOESNT WORK I HAVE MORE THINGS UP MY SLEEVE.

TBK Council
TBK Council

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Performance upgrade from 5770 to 6870

Is that a OS re-installation you have up your sleeve? Wink

TBK Member
TBK Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance upgrade from 5770 to 6870

IMPROVED PERFORMACE!!! Cheers Techy.

I deleted the 5000 drivers and installed the 6000 drivers when I first put the 6870 in my system. What I didn't do however was use driver sweeper. When I ran DS in safe mode it found a lot of ati crap, which I deleted.

All my old profiles were still in the AMD vision control centre when I first installed the 6000 drivers. I didn't think anything of this but there must have been some sort of driver conflict with having these saved profiles for the 5770 still on my system. Uninstalling the 5000 drivers didn't clear them out but driver sweeper did.

My fps is now not dropping below 30 with everything on ultra in 64 player Gulf of Oman. El' wickeedo! I'm still going to get the additional 4Gig of RAM as you suggested. I rekon the performance/fps will increase further with that in my system.

Just a final note. Having the Anti-Aliasing Mode set to Super-sample now decreases fps as it should, rather than improving it as it was when I had the problem. Things appear to be working as they should and I let you know how the additional RAM goes. Thanks again Bud.

computertechy
TBK Member
TBK Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance upgrade from 5770 to 6870

did you still run ccleaner registry mate?

TBK Member
TBK Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Performance upgrade from 5770 to 6870

Yeah I do all that when ever I install new drivers but did it again anyway just in case. I don't think that made much difference to be honest, it was driver sweeper that did the job.

rustman
TBK Council
TBK Council

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Performance upgrade from 5770 to 6870

take a look at this www.techpowerup.com/re..._Cu/7.html

Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index ›  Computer Hardware Room
Page 1 of 1