Toggle Content Home | Forums | Next Action | Calendar | TBK Rules | Join TBK | Challenge us | Search | TBK BF4 Leaderboard
  User Info Toggle Content

Welcome Anonymous

Nickname
Password
Security CodeSecurity Code
Type Code

Membership:
Latest: so0unDy
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 496

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 41
Total: 41
Who Is Where:
 Visitors:
01: Forum
02: Statistics
03: Forum
04: Photo Gallery
05: Forum
06: Statistics
07: Photo Gallery
08: Photo Gallery
09: Forum
10: Forum
11: Forum
12: Forum
13: Forum
14: Forum
15: Forum
16: Photo Gallery
17: Forum
18: Forum
19: Forum
20: Forum
21: Forum
22: Forum
23: Forum
24: My Account
25: Forum
26: Forum
27: Statistics
28: Forum
29: Forum
30: Forum
31: Statistics
32: Forum
33: Forum
34: Forum
35: Forum
36: My Account
37: Forum
38: Forum
39: Forum
40: Forum
41: Forum

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Main Menu Toggle Content

Forum › Artwork, Computer, Internet & Show Off Boards › Computer Hardware Room › New GPU
New GPU
Show off your PC Specs and Computer Tech Talk
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index ›  Computer Hardware Room

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CheeseWarrior
TBK Member
TBK Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject: New GPU

Well, after I got BFBC2 and played on the TBK servers, I knew by then I had to buy a new gpu, since the card that came with our new PC (an integrated Radeon HD 3200) was being crushed by the gigantic power black hole that is BFBC2.
So, I went and bought an ASUStek EAH5450 Silent with 1gb DDR3. It has served me fairly well, since I can now run and play BFBC2 with a decent fps (but only by sacrificing all quality on every level) and a very good quality fps on Half life 2 and Team Fortress 2 (with these, weirdly I can basically run the games with all high quality options on).
However, since I still cannot get any quality settings on BFBC2, and I am fully aware Battlefield 3 will be out soon with much higher possibilities I am thinking about upgrading, again (especially if Portal 2 has graphic improvements).
I am thinking about moving from the Radeon HD 5450 to a 5670, from DDR3 to GDDR5.
www.amazon.co.uk/SAPPH...B0032W414E
However the reason I actually bothered to write all this is I'm not sure its worth it. Considering I have no job yet (still doing GCSEs, and will be for a while) it will take a while for me to actually collect enough money (about 6 months?) and I need to know I would get enough of a performance increase if I did buy another graphics card.
My problem is that I need a card that does not need a higher minimum power supply than my current 5450, and as far as I know, this one doesn't. However, I also did some digging and found the coling system that Sapphire have added is so big the card will take up 2 pci-e slots, and I many only have 1 to use. Is this correct?
Another thing is due to ATI/AMD's driver problems I would be very happy to try out an Nvidia card if they would be better. Please could someone with a larger knowledge of Nvidia suggest a good card?
I think that covers everything... Confused Sorry for massive post.
chaosmode
TBK Member
TBK Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: New GPU

Dont buy a card yet, BF3 is a long way away and anything you buy now will be old tech by the time it releases. Portal 2 will run as well as the first game, so no need to upgrade for that.

Also worth mentioning that the 5670 is not a gaming card and at £85 is a rip off. (A 460 /5770 would be a better buy)
Id advise against buying from Amazon, it'll be cheaper to go with computer hardware etailer like. Aria, OcUK etc

Nvidia drivers aren't much better than ATi's so i wouldnt go team green solely for that reason.

2 PCI slots wont be a problem, i doubt you have any addon cards.

Id recommended getting a summer job and saving for a new PSU and GPU to buy in Autumn just in time for BF3.

TBK Member
TBK Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New GPU

I gotta go with what Chaos said. I got the ATI 5770, and its was leaps and bounds over the old NVidea 8800GT i had. I got mine a while ago now, and it cost 130 quid from scan at the time. Its still not great as i had to tune down some of the settings, but it plays very well. Thinking about installing FRAPS or wahtever to get a more accurate FPS. But compared to what you got a moment, a 5770 will be a big leap, but the flip side is also that BF3 will be massive in a graphics card.

So i would agree with Chaos and ait til nearer time to figure out what card to get. It will also let you save up more money to get a better card. I may also go for a new card when BF3 comes out, but im waiting on the specs being released before i go hunting for a new card.

This is mu card Cheese,
www.scan.co.uk/product...eld-coupon
ECMadis
Friend Of TBK
Friend Of TBK

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New GPU

I have to say that this upgrade ain't gonna give you any big boost. Better save money and buy some upgrades when the game comes actually out.

What CPU do you have?
CheeseWarrior
TBK Member
TBK Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: New GPU

Chaos and Rigger, thanks, you've neen a big help, escpecially Chaos. Madis, I will save money, and at the minute my cpu is an AMD Phenom 9150e, quad core (4x 1.8ghz).
CheeseWarrior
TBK Member
TBK Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New GPU

Well, I've done even more research and found another GPU, designed by NVidia and tuned by Palit to compete with Rigger's 5770- www.overclockersclub.c...inum/3.htm

Its a Palit GTS 450 Sonic Platinum, which seems to have a lower power requirement of 400w, so I don't need a new PSU (to be honest, I'd be happy if I didn't need another PSU, since I know literally nothing about them and I don't have the money to buy a decent one anytime soon as well as a good GPU).
For those that want to know-
Chipset:NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
Interface:PCI Express 2.0
Video Memory:1GB
Memory Type:GDDR5
Engine Clock:930MHz
Memory Clock:4000MHz (2000MHz GDDR5)
Memory Interface:128-bit
Stream Processing Units:192
RAMDACs:400MHz
Max. Resolution:2560x1600
Connectors:VGA,HDMI,2 x DVI-I
DirectX Support:11.0
OpenGL Support:4.0

So this is my latest idea- I'd like to hear what you guys think- is it better than the 5770? If not, I might carry on as I was, getting the ASUS 5770 CuCore that Rigger recommended with a CiT 650w PSU I found going cheap.
Obviously, there is much time yet before I will actually do anything.
Rigger
TBK Member
TBK Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New GPU

Cheese - sorry - think you got wrong idea of what i was saying. At the moment - i have an ATI 5770, and its a good card, but as chaos said, i'd wait until we know for sure what the recommended hardware is for BF3. I will be, hopefully i won't need to upgrade my Gfx's just yet, but im waiting all the same.
If your current rig is playing bc2 smoothly, just hold on to your pennies until nearer the time. You should be able to get a better card than the NVidea 450 in 6 months or so, at current prices. You might be gutted to spend that money now, on new equip, only to find it does not play BF3 smoothly or well. The money you have saved and could continue to save in 6 months will ensure that you have a very capable system.
CheeseWarrior
TBK Member
TBK Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: New GPU

Ok, I said 'there is much time yet before I will actually do anything' because I wanted to say that I did understand what you are saying. I'm just looking at my current options, and if nothing comes up then I will continue to talk it over with you guys, so don't worry I do see what you're saying.
Besides, I don't have enough money yet by far to do anything now.
CheeseWarrior
TBK Member
TBK Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New GPU

Ok, now I've seen the system requirements for BF3. It doesn't look good. My slightly under-powered quad is going to take a beating, and the 5450 is going to struggle like the 3200 did with BC2. I know I can grab an extra gig of shared RAM ( I don't have enough of that for Vista,(by 200mb- I have 1.8gb) let alone games like this). Obviously I don't have the cash for a new CPU, the 1.8ghz X 4 will have to do. I can get more RAM. Now the GPU. I have already scrapped the idea of the GTS 450, and I'm scrapping the 5750/ 5770 idea. I'm going for, right now, the GeForce GTX 550- specifically, this one
www.scan.co.uk/product...vi-i-mhdmi
I can also pick something from the new 6000 range of AMD stuffs. However, getting anything past the 6670 I know will get through more than 400w, and so I'll need a new PSU as well. This is obviously getting expensive, I can't pay for much more than £120 altogether for parts.

www.hwcompare.com/9713...-6770-1gb/
www.hwcompare.com/9728...n-hd-5450/
Ankara
TBK Council
TBK Council

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New GPU

I'd have a go on this to assess what you need.

Post new topic    Reply to topic    Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index ›  Computer Hardware Room
Page 1 of 6